Friday, 30 August 2013

A truly yummy Vanilla Cupcake

Our last Friday of Winter, woohoo!!!  I was so excited to see some sun shining in through our windows yesterday! I wouldn't go quite as far as to say that Spring is in the air but the mere sight of the sun inspired me to make some Spring theme cupcakes.

 
Usually I'm not happy with my cupcakes because the end product is always too dense and lacking flavour.  I have tried many recipes but this one is my favourite. It is light and fluffy with the most incredible vanilla flavour.  Thanks to www.taste.com.au
 
Vanilla Cupcakes
(makes approx. 24 cakes) 
 
Ingredients
200g butter, softened
1 3/4 cups (370g) caster sugar
2 tsp vanilla bean paste
4 eggs
2 3/4 cups (405g) self-raising flour
1 cup (250ml) milk

Method
 
Step 1
Preheat oven to 180°C or 350°F. Line 24 1/3 cup (80ml) muffin pans with patty cases.

Step 2
Cream the butter, sugar and vanilla bean paste with an electric mixer. Add the eggs, one at a time, and beat until just combined. Add the flour and milk in alternate batches and stir with a wooden spoon until just combined. Do not overbeat.

Step 3
Spoon mixture evenly among the patty cases. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until cooked through. Remove from oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.




For the frosting I used my own go-to-recipe for an American Buttercream. When I'm decorating cakes for children I prefer this style of buttercream over egg based recipes such as French or Italian recipes.  When I'm piping I prefer to use a stiffer consistency but this recipe is very versatile. By altering the amount of milk, you can adjust the consistency to your preference.
 
Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
 
Ingredients
1 cup or 226 grams of unsalted butter (soft)
3 - 4 cups of icing sugar sifted
1/2 - 1 tablespoon vanilla extract (adjust to taste)
1/4 teaspoon salt
Up to 4 tablespoons of milk (adjust to desired consistency)
 
Method
Beat the butter with the paddle attachment of your mixer on medium (approx. 2 minutes).
Reduce the speed to low and add 3 cups of the sifted icing sugar.
Add the vanilla extract, salt and 2 tablespoons of the milk.
Once incorporated increase the speed back to medium. Beat for 3 minutes.
Adjust consistency with extra milk or icing sugar.
 
 
 

 
 
 
 

6 comments:

  1. They look so good, I'm coming over for afternoon tea. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be lovely but are they worth a 10 hour drive!

      Delete
  2. These look yummy and I love how you've decorated them - they look very professional. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Julie, I used the grass tip which made it very easy but such an effective look.

      Delete
  3. What a LOVELY blog you have!

    Take care,
    Titti

    ReplyDelete