Saturday, 24 August 2013

Leaves and Roots

I love to try something new and when I read on a fellow bloggers post last week about an old English favourite, Dandelion & Burdoch soda, it sparked my interest and I set about trying to find it. I eventually discovered it in a little shop that stocks imported goods such as Ben and Jerry's ice cream, Hershey's chocolate, etc.


Who would have thought that a couple of weeds could produce such a unique drink. Prior to opening it I didn't know what to expect. My first surprise was that it was black, like cola! The flavour evoked a true sense of old world.

Prior to it being developed into a soft drink, it was consumed as a light mead in the middle ages. I could imagine this very herbal concoction being brewed in houses all those years ago.

I didn't mind it but I can't say I enjoyed it. I think it is probably like our Vegemite, quite an acquired taste! I am however very happy to have tried Dandelion & Burdoch soda. If you get the chance, give it a go!


4 comments:

  1. I'm going to have to keep an eye out for it now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely to meet up with another Aussie!! Memory chain is such a magical notion.......

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an interesting combination, I love sodas so I'm going to have to keep an eye out too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I suppose it is an acquired taste and it was very popular when I was at school. I don't recognise the brand on the can though - Fentiman's is supposed to be the top traditional brand here but even I have trouble finding it. x

    ReplyDelete