Tuesday, 3 September 2013

August Savenger Hunt

Living in Melbourne in August is cold, wet and grey. It reminds me of my time living in London with the low skies and a permanent overcoat by the door.

It is my least favourite time of year and I have to dig deep to stay positive! The Scavenger Hunt this month has been a godsend as it has provided me with a purpose to put coat, scarf and hat on and venture out, much to the amusement of many friends who insist on hibernating!

I hope you enjoy my interpretation!

Brown
Much of Melbourne is brown in August,
including The Yarra River and these stark brown trees.

10
My son's 10th Birthday Angry Birds cake.
He wanted a cake he could actually knock down with a slingshot. Boys will be boys!!

Windows

New Windows in the background. Old in front.


Petrol Station
 

A gem of an old fashioned service station in Collingwood, Melbourne.
Stuck in a time warp (except for the prices!!)

Boats

 
 


Framed
Inside the conservatory at Fitzroy Gardens, Melbourne

Chopsticks
A selection of our chopstick collection.

Transport
Trams are a Melbourne icon but it's hard to get a shot without cars.
This is a photo with famous Flinders Street Railway in the background.
Locals and visitors make about 180 million passenger trips every year.

Playing
The trophies my son's team received for
PLAYING the game of AFL (Australian Football League) this year.


Fantasy
My mother always told me that fairies lived in the garden.
Such a fantastical and magical idea.

The Fairies' Tree - Carved into the tree by Ola Cohn from 1931-1934
Located in Fitzroy Gardens
"I have carved in a tree in the Fitzroy Gardens for you, and the fairies, but mostly for the fairies and those who believe in them, for they will understand how necessary it is to have a fairy sanctuary - a place that is sacred and safe as a home should be to all living creatures."
Sharp
The sharp point of a succulent at Fitzroy Gardens, Melbourne

Post Card

My Great Grandfather, George Knowles would have received this postcard from his wife and children about a month before his death on 12 October 1917 in Belgium. My grandmother was the smallest child.
 
It reads: "To My Dear George, We have just come over to see how you are getting on. I thought you would like to see us. I thought you could put this in your pocket better than a cabinet. I am putting this in Mothers' letter for you. Well goodnight and God bless you from your loving wife and children xxxxxxxxxxx
He would have received this postcard from his family about a month before his death on 12 October 1917 in Belgium


15 comments:

  1. Thanks for taking part in this months Scavenger hunt. We always vist the fairy tree when in Melbourne so many memory's of my childhood, boats, sharp and chopsticks are great photos. Love Master B' s birthday cake.greenthumb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment. The Fairy tree is really enchanting and so lovely to have it preserved!

      Delete
  2. That cake is amazing! Did the actually take to it with a slingshot? My nephews would be so very envious! The writing on that postcard is so beautiful, I still write in cursive but not a lot of people do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He did take to it with a slingshot and had an absolute ball! The ultimate interactive cake! Thank you for your comments.

      Delete
  3. The sentiments expressed in your August Scavenger Hunt entries are truly beautiful, as are your recollections from childhood. Always a pleasure to see your beautiful photography as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your wonderful comments! I'm pleased you enjoyed!

      Delete
  4. Super photographs and lovely to see Melbourne again especially the iconic Flinders Station. What a poignant story of your Grandfather's postcard, I'm so glad he received it in time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Fiona, I struggled with a couple of them this month but I really enjoy participating.

      Delete
  5. What a great idea for a boy's birthday cake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My son really loved his cake. It was great for a bit of fun!

      Delete
  6. A great selection of photos and I loved all the stories behind them. Really liked the old petrol station and the fairy tree. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Julie, I'm always conscious of not putting too many words but sometimes a little explanation is necessary. I'm pleased you enjoyed and thank you for looking.

      Delete
  7. ah memories of Melbourne....love it!
    Bec x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for following Bec. Pleased enjoyed my shots of Melbourne. Noosa is a truly beautiful place and you have a lovely blog.

      Delete
  8. Wonderful photos ~ especially the postcard, and framed. It's great to see a different part of the world through this challenge. I hope you did September's challenge too :)

    ReplyDelete