Tuesday, 5 November 2013

Brown Butter Spiced Apple Cake Cookies #CreativeCookieExchange

Cooking means something different to everyone. In fact cooking has meant something different to me throughout the many different life stages that I have experienced.

When I first moved out of home I cooked from necessity (we had to eat), when I first got married I cooked what was cheap and to please my new husband and now still with the husband but with two lovely additions, I cook for health and/or smiles.

I love to try new techniques  and cook with new ingredients. This is why the Creative Cookie Exchange is such a good fit for me. I get to please my family whilst discovering new recipes. This month's key ingredient is APPLES.


These cookies are delicious. They are a soft, moist ball of yummy goodness. The cream cheese frosting used to sandwich them together takes them to an even greater height so don't skimp on the filling put a good dollop!! I kept mine quite small because they are quite substantial but you can always have two!

 
Brown Butter Apple Spice Cake Cookies
Recipe thanks to Guilty Kitchen

Yield: 6 sandwich cookies or 12 plain cookies
(I made mine quite small and got many more than this) Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes

1/2 cup salted butter
1/2 cup dark brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup, granulated sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp fresh nutmeg, grated
1/4 tsp. ground ginger
1 cup quick cooking oats
2 large apples, peeled, cored and shredded or diced
3/4 cup toasted pecan pieces **
1. In small saucepan on medium high heat, melt butter. Swirl (do not stir!) the butter every so often, until it becomes a darker shade and begins to get a bit foamy. Remove from heat and set aside.
2. In large bowl, stir together sugars and all other dry ingredients.
3. In separate bowl, whisk together egg and vanilla. Slowly add butter to egg mixture while whisking.
4. Stir egg/butter mix into dry ingredients. Stir in apple and pecans.
5. Cover and chill for at least 1 hour or over night.
6. Using an ice cream scoop, scoop out, level off and place cake batter 2 inches apart on a parchment lined baking tray.
7. Bake in 350°F oven for 15-20 minutes.
** To toast pecans: Chop pecan halves into small pieces (about 5mm or 1/8″). Place on cookie sheet and bake for about 5 minutes at 425°F OR In a small, heavy bottomed pan set to high heat, swirl nuts for about 5 minutes or until browned.

Cream Cheese Frosting

4 oz Cream Cheese (Light okay, no fat not okay), room temperature
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/4 cup salted butter, room temperature
1 tsp vanilla
1. Whisk together until thick and completely combined. Cover and chill until needed.
To assemble your Cookie Sandwiches, simply put a dollop of chilled frosting onto a chilled cookie and sandwich another cookie right on top. Divine!
 
My kids were extremely happy with these declaring:

"They had never tasted something so yummy!!!"

 
 

7 comments:

  1. I love how you sandwiched your cookies with the cream cheese, and I'm sure that these would be winners in my household too. I think I'm going to have to double the amount of apples I usually buy each week so I can try all of the groups amazing recipes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comments. Yes I too am looking forward to cooking many of the creations posted.

      Delete
  2. They really look good, apples and cream cheese sound like a match made in heaven.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really do go together well, kinda remind us of mini carrot cakes but don't skimp on the cream cheese!!

      Delete
  3. What a fabulous idea to reduce the size and double the quantity! With a young family enjoying these, definitely a wise decision.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment, so pleased to see you here!! Can't believe how much the kids love them! I'll make you a batch when come next to stay!

      Delete
  4. I am a cream cheese frosting fiend; these look absolutely delicious! Thank you so much for joining us--I love seeing what everyone made, even if I am, as always, late.

    ReplyDelete