Monday, 11 November 2013

#BundtaMonth Tennessee Jam Bundt

Welcome to my first attempt at the #BundtaMonth Challenge. The theme for this month is Jam and I have chosen to make a Tennessee Jam Bundt cake. I have adapted the recipe from the Southern Living blog. There are many variations but to fit more with this month's theme of Jam, I omitted the Caramel Frosting and drizzled my cake with more sticky, sweet, gooey jam. The family have also enjoyed it warmed with ice cream.


Tennessee Jam Bundt
Makes 12 servings
Ingredients
 1 1/2 cups chopped pecans
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
250g butter, softened
4 large eggs
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 cups seedless blackberry jam
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Garnishes: Fresh mint leaves, blackberries

1. Preheat oven to 180°. Bake pecans in a single layer in a shallow pan 8 to 10 minutes or until toasted and fragrant, stirring halfway through. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack. Reduce oven temperature to 160°.

2. Beat granulated sugar and butter at medium speed with a heavy-duty electric stand mixer until light and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating just until blended after each addition.

3. Stir together flour and next 5 ingredients and set aside. Stir together buttermilk and baking soda. Add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with buttermilk mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed just until blended after each addition.

4. Add jam and vanilla and beat until just blended. Stir in toasted pecans.

5. Grease a 10-inch (12-cup) Bundt pan. Pour batter into prepared pan.

6. Bake for 1 hour to 1 hour and 15 minutes or until a long wooden pick inserted in centre comes out clean. Cool cake in pan on a wire rack 20 minutes; remove from pan to wire rack, and cool completely.
 

This is a very moist and sweet cake with a lovely soft crumb. It is a little bit fruity, a little bit spicy, a little bit nutty and quite delicious. I think if I were to make it again, I would omit the cocoa powder so that the jam flavour would be more prominent and perhaps the sugar a little. A tart lemon icing would also work. I had beautiful blackberries and fresh mint to decorate. I picked up the blackberries at the local farmer's market yesterday. They were grown in the Yarra Valley but due to it being a little early for berries they were frozen.
 
I hope you enjoy my post and I look forward to joining in again next month.

Here's how you can be a part of #BundtaMonth:
  • Simple rule: Bake us a bundt using your favorite jam
  • Post it before November 30, 2013
  • Use the #BundtaMonth hashtag in your title. (For ex: title could read – #BundtaMonth: Raspberry Jam Bundt with Peanut Butter Glaze
  • Add your entry to the Linky tool below
  • Link back to our announcement posts 
Even more bundt fun! Follow Bundt-a-Month on Facebook where we feature all our gorgeous bundt cakes. Or head over to our Pinterest Board for inspiration and choose from hundreds of Bundt cake recipes.

6 comments:

  1. Now that sounds like a good cake, I like that it has the spices in it. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I tried this cake it reminded my a lot of your "crunchy cake" you used to make for us. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  2. Welcome to Bundtamonth and your inaugural cake is a great one. I was hoping someone would make this cake and your's turned out beautifull.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your welcome message. It really was a lovely cake and I was happy with how it turned out. Thank you!

      Delete
  3. Oh what a beautiful cake! I LOVE blackberries and I imagine they are luscious combined with the lovely spices in this cake! So glad you joined in this month! (and I'm with your family....a slice of this, warmed, with ice cream would be heavenly!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your cake--I love the name. I also love blackberries--great choice! Thanks for baking with us!

    ReplyDelete